Tuesday, March 23, 2004

New Sportsguy Column

Bill Simmons has a new column up over at ESPN.com and in it he has a first - his first slam at ESPN.

Quote: And since I needed something to keep my off my feet -- wink-wink -- I purchased DirecTV's March Madness package. Every minute of every game for the piddling price of $59.95! Yeah, like that bill isn't getting sent right to Bristol this week. I think I'll stick it in the same envelope with my 25,000-word confidential memo, "The Top 50 Ways You Screwed Up 'Dream Job.'" End Quote

Sure it's a mild slam (and it's only directed toward "Dream Job") - but it's the first one he's offered up since taking the Page 2 job. Maybe he'll start slow and then lower the boom with what he really thinks of the folks in Bristol.

Another interesting point:

Quote: So I tried to make up for the losses with Maryland, learning a valuable lesson in the process: Never bet on a team where Darryl Strawberry's son could end up taking the last shot. For God's sake, the '86 World Series happened 18 years ago -- I'm still getting reamed. Fifty years from now, I'll have the Seton Hall women's field hockey team in a four-team parlay and Lee Mazzilli's great-grandaughter will end give up the game-winning goal. End Quote

Yesterday was the anniversary of the Red Sox trading Sparky Lyle to the Yankees - and yes Red Sox fans do think about things like Darryl Strawberry's son and players we gave away decades ago. It's impossible to explain.


No comments:

Post a Comment