Monday, April 19, 2004

Celebrity Death-Match - Val Kilmer vs. Kevin Spacey

I happened upon this reading some comments on FARK and I thought it was interesting enough to share (BTW - I think I believe Kilmer more than Spacey's publicist) - here's the link for the entire interview (BTW 2 - I never heard of Mare Winningham):

You went to Chatsworth High School with Mare Winningham and Kevin Spacey. Do you still keep in touch with them?

No, I have no idea what Mare's up to except I just saw the other day that she has a new record out. And Kevin stole money from my dad, so I don't talk to Kevin.

In high school?

No. College. We went to Juilliard, and he knew my dad well from high school, and he hustled him. He told him that the school was going to kick him out because he used up his student loans so my dad wrote him a check. Even though Kevin knew he was gonna quit. So he hustled my dad for the money.

Was it like, a thousand bucks?

No, it was tuition. It was like, $18,000. My dad thought we were best friends so he wrote him a check. I ran into Kevin years later, and he had made some movies and probably won a Tony by then. I said, "Congratulations. You're doing great, but you ought to pay my dad back. I don't have much to say to you till you do that." He sent my dad a thousand dollars and some sad-song letter that was all lies. And my dad died, [about] 1992 or '93, right before I started Tombstone. So I'm gonna have to [have Spacey] pay for the college education of my children.

[Kevin Spacey's publicist responds: "Ten years ago Mr. Spacey repaid in full an $800 loan, with interest, made by Eugene Kilmer in 1979 to help towards his first year's college expenses. He has always been grateful for the opportunity this afforded him and feels strongly that without the generous support of Mr. Kilmer, and many like him, he would never have achieved the success he has today. He is particularly grateful to Val for having suggested he apply to Juilliard in the first place."]

1 comment: