Thursday, April 22, 2004

Miscellaneous Thoughts

Various thoughts and observations while I have my moring coffee and peruse the moring papers and web sites...

Doug Mirabelli had two home runs for the Red Sox last night as Boston beat the Blue Jays 4-2 at SkyDome. I have long pointed out that Mirabelli actually has a better HR/AB career ratio than Jason Varitek and I think if Mirabelli was given enough at bats - then he would be a 20+ HR hitter... The Blue Jays have yet to win at home this year... Last night I saw Something's Gotta Give with my wife. The movie was pretty clever but the best line came from my wife. In the movie Keanu Reeves has the hots for Dianne Keaton and when they first started making out, my wife leaned over and said, "I hope he got paid a lot of money for this role." Maybe you had to be there... Last night before going out to see the movie, I was flipping around the channels and I saw Marsha Clark on The Hollywood Squares. Next up, OJ Simpson on COPS.... Most of the articles I read about Barry Bonds make a big deal about how teams pitch around him - resulting in huge walk numbers for Bonds. I was curious how that stacked up against Babe Ruth (who I'm assuming was also pitched around because he was Babe freakin' Ruth). Based on a 162 game average - Babe Ruth had 133 walks per season (stats via Baseball-Reference.com). Also based on a 162 game average - Barry Bonds career walks per season is 131 (stats again via Baseball-reference.com). It should be noted that Bonds never had a Gehrig batting behind him - so it was even easier for teams to pitch around him... If Mark Prior makes it back into the line-up for the Cubs before Nomar Garciaparra makes it back for the Red Sox - then I guess it is all but guaranteed that Nomar will be playing elsewhere next year... If you watch any poker on TV - you are likely to hear mention of high-stakes Hollywood home games. Now Baltimore Ravens cornerback Corey Fuller is being charged with hosting a high stakes card game at his house? Fuller was arrested in Tallahassee, FL where state law allows card players to gamble up to $10 per hand. Fuller is facing felony charges and up to 5-years in prison. That is just nuts. This is why I tend toward the Libertarians - who was Fuller hurting with his card game in the privacy of his OWN HOME? If you've ever played poker - chances are you have been in many pots where you risked much more than $10 on a hand. According to the state of Florida - that makes you a felon....

No comments:

Post a Comment