Monday, May 24, 2004

Miscellaneous Thoughts

Some morning thoughts while I have my first cup of coffee...

I thought this was interesting (found via Instapundit). EL Doctrow got loudly booed for an anti-war speech he gave at the Hofstra graduation:
Some Hofstra professors said Doctorow was on target in discussing the war. "I thought this was a totally appropriate place to talk about politics because that's the world our students are entering," said sociology professor Cynthia Bogard. "I only wish their parents had provided them a better role model."

So Professor Bogard takes a shot at the parents for not being better role models and she thinks speeches like the one from Doctrow will help prepare them for the real world? I hope she doesn't have any kids. I'm curious what Professor Bogard thinks a Sociology degree will be worth to the students in the real world... A week ago I think many people were ready to concede the NL Cy Young Award to Roger Clemens (myself included) but it seems that 41-year old Randy Johnson and 38-year old Tom Glavine are saying "Not so fast"... I did a quick Google search on Professor Bogard - her specialty is homeless mothers (it seems that sometimes they get depressed). That aught to be real helpful information for her students in dealing with the real world... Today is Bartolo Colon's birthday. Angels fans everywhere hope he takes it easy on the cake... Harry Potter author JK Rowling now has her own website (and yes I'm a total geek for this stuff)... I don't know what's funnier - Simpson's quote about the shorts or the synopsis of the plot of the movie (from IMDB.com)...
Britney Spears's hopes of landing the role of Daisy Duke in the forthcoming movie version of The Dukes Of Hazzard have been dashed - after bosses handed it to Jessica Simpson. While star Spears had expressed an interest in playing the sexy character from the '70s/'80s TV show, singer Simpson has been chosen as the blonde who will fill the extra-short shorts of original Daisy Duke Catherine Bach. Simpson's manager father Joe tells America's Star magazine, "She is really excited." Simpson herself adds, "I wanna wear those shorts so bad!" The film, about three redneck cousins, two corrupt public officials and a souped- up Dodge Charger car, begins production this summer

No comments:

Post a Comment