Sunday, May 16, 2004

Miscellaneous Thoughts

Some random observations while I wait for my wife to get back from the store with the cream for my morning coffee...

I thought this was a hat at first... Barry Bonds has become the Ty Cobb of this century. When either player's name is mentioned people will think, "He was a great player but what an asshole!"... Benny Binion who started the World Series of Poker was convicted of killing two men and fled justice to Las Vegas. Binion was a mob boss in Texas. You never hear mention of that from Norm Chad on the WSOP broadcasts.... Smarty Jones win at the Preakness was just incredible. We may be looking at the Seattle Slew of our generation. Possibly one of the top 10 horses of all-time... Kevin Youkilis got the nickname "The Greek God of Walks" from the book Moneyball. Maybe after hitting a HR in his first big league at bat his new nickname should be "The Greek God of Home Runs.".... This is the best article I have read on David Lander (Squiggy from Laverne and Shirley) who is battling MS and is also a scout for the Mariners... Boxing is in big trouble. The last big name fighter - Roy Jones Jr. gets beat in two rounds by Antonio Tarver (who? No disrespect to Tarver but who the hell is Antonio Tarver?)... OK - I'll say it! I was a bit nonplussed when Smarty Jones trainer John Servis said, "He came through for America. I'm so impressed with his effort." Did I miss something? Was Smarty Jones running in the Olympics against a field of foreign horses?... If Pedro Martinez beats the Toronto Blue Jays today - I will shit my pants if Red Sox manager Terry Francona says, "Pedro came through for America. I'm so impressed with his effort"...

No comments:

Post a Comment