Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Revisiting Lewis & Clark

Outside Magazine has long been one of my favorites (I think they have the best young writers anywhere) and I just realized that they are also available on the web at Outsideonline.com.

Recently they had an acticle by John Fox that retraced the steps of Lewis & Clark on the upper Missouri river (registration may be required). I just loved this particular passage:
The highs and lows of our trip offered no comparison to those experienced by Lewis and Clark. They gnawed on greasy beaver tail; we savored cornmeal-encrusted salmon. They were allotted a gill (four ounces) of "ardent spirits" per man daily; we allotted ourselves, well, more. They suffered from boils, dysentery, and dislocated bones; I broke a nail opening a beer can.

No comments:

Post a Comment