Saturday, July 31, 2004

Thunderbirds are Go!

My wife and daughters went away yesterday to go to a quilt show in Maine. I was very disappointed that I didn't get to go too. [sarcasm off]

That left me alone with my 7-year old son. So for quality time together I decided to bring us to the drive-in. My plan was to see Spiderman II but the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray. Spiderman II was playing but it was the second feature - the first movie was the Thunderbirds.

This was good news for my son - he was pumped to see the Thunderbirds. Me? Not so much.

The movie is what it is - pap aimed at 7-year old boys (even though it has a PG rating).

The two big "names" in the movie are Bill Paxton and Ben Kingley. I watched the movie feeling bad for these two actors. I mean Paxton used to be a big part of summer blockbusters like Twister, Titanic, and Apollo 13. Now he's doing bit parts in Spy Kids movies and staring in movies like the Thunderbirds? Sad.

If seeing Bill Paxton star in a movie like the Thunderbirds was sad - watching Ben Kingsley in the same movie was tragic. I mean his character was named "The Hood". Kingsley is a very accomplished actor. I mean he was freakin' Gandhi for Christs sake! You expect Ben Kingsley in movies like Schindler's List - not the Thunderbirds. Last year Kinglsey was getting Oscar nominations for House of Sand and Fog and this year he's in Thunderbirds? Tragic. I hope the pay was worth it.

Well I made it through the movie which wasn't half bad if you accepted it for what it was. Now came Spiderman II. I would love to give you a review of the movie but I can't since I only got to see the first hour. Just when Dr. Otto Octavius is transformed into Dr. Octopus - my son decided it was time to leave. Not sure if Spiderman was getting scary for him, whether he was tired or if it was just lack of interest (there were a lot of girl stuff in the first half of the movie). Anyway - home we went.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent Post keep sharing !

    ReplyDelete