Thursday, August 26, 2004

A Tailgunner Joe moment for Swift Boat Johnny?

As new revelations are made about John Kerry's "exaggerations" almost on a daily basis and as the Kerry Campaign continues to "accuse the accusers" instead of answering the questions being raised - I'm starting to become convinced that Kerry may be heading toward a similar end as Joe McCarthy.

Now don't get me wrong - I in no way want to imply that John Kerry is the same as Joe McCarthy who was truly monstrous and a black mark on our history. I am struck, however, by the eerie coincidence that Joe McCarthy got the infamous number of "57 Communists in the State Department" from the label of a Heinz ketchup bottle and now John Kerry is married to the heir of the Heinz fortune. I am more struck by the fact that (to my knowledge) Joe McCarthy never made public that infamous list of "57" and John Kerry seems determined to keep his military records out of the public eye. Remember it was that infamous list that made McCarthy (in)famous and it was the deeds described in Kerry's military records that first brought him to national exposure.

Kerry came close to getting his McCarthy like comeuppance when Bob Dole (a decorated war hero) said his peace last Sunday. Kerry was lucky in that the press was able to pass that off as the "mean Bob Dole" being back. Dole doesn't have the grandfatherly warmth of a Joseph Welsh. Next time I think Kerry won't be so lucky.

I predict that during one of the debates - Kerry will not be able to help himself and will call President Bush a coward or a traitor for not serving in Vietnam. I wouldn't be surprised if Bush's response was:
Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you no sense of decency?

No comments:

Post a Comment