Saturday, September 25, 2004

Miscellaneous Baseball Thoughts

First up my public whippin'. Yes Luggie I didn't think much of Jaret Wright and yes you correctly called for him to win 15 games this year (15-8 with a 3.33 ERA right now). Hidalgo vs. Sheffield? Completely wrong on that one too (almost as bad as me picking the Royals to win the AL Central). I will, however, also remind you of who was steadfast in his comments about the Braves this year. Preseason - not many people were picking them to win the East (but I did). Early in the season when they faltered and everyone was jumping off the bandwagon - I was still picking them to win the East (unlike some people - as Chris looks in Luggies direction)... Also in yesterday's comments - Glen mentioned that the Rangers turnaround was almost as impressive as the Padres. That's true but I think the success of Rangers has gotten more exposure than the success of the Padres. I kept thinking that the Rangers would fade but they keep hanging around (only 3 games back of the A's in the West - In my head I have Teddy KGB's voice saying, "Hangin' around, always hangin' around"). Now I'm starting to think that the Rangers may be able to win the West because there's no pressure but there is opportunity. The Rangers finish up with 5 games against Seattle and four against the Angels. Meanwhile the A's finish with five against the Angels and four against Seattle. It could happen.... Manny Ramirez's HR last night gives him 389 for his career which ties him with Johnny Bench. One more HR and Manny ties Craig Nettles for 43rd place all-time.... Barry Bonds needs 3 more RBI to pass Captain Carl Yastrzmeski and move into 11th place all-time... I would have to guess that Roberto Alomar is all done. He's hit just .180 for the White Sox since being traded by Arizona. I'm still on the fence about whether he's a Hall of Famer...

No comments:

Post a Comment