Friday, September 17, 2004

WWHTD?

If you are new to reading this blog - you may think I am some kind of firebrand Republican. The fact is - I'm a reluctant Independent. Will I be voting for President Bush? Absolutely.

Please understand - I am a first generation Irish Catholic from Massachusetts. My parents both had union jobs and I grew up with pictures of JFK and the Pope in our living room. By all rights I should be a Democrat. I can't bring myself to vote Democrat for the big offices because the Democratic Party just doesn't get "it".

The prime example is John Kerry. Take this small bit from a speech he gave today in New Mexico:
"With all due respect to the president, has he turned on the evening news lately? Does he read the newspapers?" Kerry said. "Does he really know what's happening? Is he talking about the same war that the rest of us are talking about?"
With all due respect? The only thing John Kerry respects is his wife's bank account. Did he respect the medals he won in Vietnam? Did he respect the sacrifice nations like England, Australia, Italy and Japan have made in joining us in Iraq? He called the coalition there "the phoniest thing". At last count - 131 non-US soldiers from the coalition have died in Iraq.

Kerry asks if Bush has "turned on the evening news lately". For what? To see Dan Rather carping about phony documents?

Kerry asks if Bush reads the newspapers? For what? Articles like this from the AP? Please notice that the article has allegations from Terry McAuliffe and discredited Kitty Kelly rumors about cocaine use but there is no mention of the fact that John Kerry hasn't released his military records - AND KERRY'S THE GUY RUNNING ON HIS MILITARY RECORD!

The quote ends with Kerry asking if Bush is "talking about the same war that the rest of us are talking about?" No Bush is talking about the War on Terror. Kerry and the DNC are talking about (and spending advertising money on) the Vietnam War.

They just don't get it.

I know many other people who are in my shoes and are upset that the Democratic Party has become the home of the loony left. I think the Party needs to get back to basics and I have just the slogan to help them do it.

"What would Harry Truman do?"

The Democrats should ask that question on every issue and they would put themselves right back where they need to be. This is a theme I'll be coming back to on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment