Thursday, October 14, 2004

Presidential Debate Thoughts

Here are my thoughts and observations on the third and final debate:

- I'm sorry but questions like the first one of the night about safety to me are like questions about health. "Yes Bob we are healthy but the question is are we as healthy as we ought to be?" Even Jack Lalane doesn't think he's healthy enough. Then again - even Jim Fixx had a heart attack. Although, I am glad that President Bush hit Kerry with the "terrorism is not a nuisance" line.

- 1.4 million Ohioans have no health care and 114,000 lost it under President Bush. So I guess that means that the other 1,286,000 lost their health care under Clinton?

- Heh heh:
I want to remind people listening tonight that a plan is not a litany of complaints, and a plan is not to lay out programs that you can't pay for.

He just said he wants everybody to be able to buy in to the same plan that senators and congressmen get. That costs the government $7,700 per family. If every family in America signed up, like the senator suggested, if would cost us $5 trillion over 10 years.

It's an empty promise. It's called bait and switch.
- The fact that every taxpaying American did get more back and had to pay less in taxes is a big plus for Bush. My refund check alone would be reason for me to vote for Bush. Kerry says he's not going to raise taxes on the middle class and he also said he wants to lower the corporate taxes to 5% yet he wants to increase spending in almost every program. It doesn't make sense.

- Bringing up Dick Cheney's daughter in the question on gay marriage was uncalled for by Kerry.

- WTF?:
I believe that I can't legislate or transfer to another American citizen my article of faith. What is an article of faith for me is not something that I can legislate on somebody who doesn't share that article of faith.
John Kerry channeling Dan Quayle? BTW - the "faith without works" quote is very controversial in religious circles. It gets to the heart of the "once saved, always saved" argument. I doubt if Kerry is aware of that.

- How come nobody ever talks about importing drugs from Mexico? How come nobody ever talks about guarding the Canadian border from illegal immigrants? I'm serious. If Canada can make drugs cheap - couldn't a plant in Mexico do the same? People don't talk about importing drugs from Mexico because normally "drugs" from Mexico mean somehing else and there is this idea that the medical drugs from Mexico would be unsafe or "unclean". Same thing on immigrants. Illegal Canadians are OK but illegal Mexicans are a problem (or so it seems the thinking seems to go).

- I think Bush won this debate

No comments:

Post a Comment