Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Red Sox / Yankees Game 1 Diary

Just like last year - I have decided to try and keep a running diary for the Red Sox / Yankees series. Yes I know the idea is a blatant rip off of Bill Simmons but if I didn't care last year - what makes you think I care now?

My wife is at a meeting so it is up to me to get the four kids ready for bed. Part of the bedtime routine for my youngest is to have her read one story to me - and then I read a story to her. She gets to pick out the stories.

The story my daughter is reading is a HR Pufnstuf book. (We literally have about 1,000 kids books but this is the first time I've seen this one.) My daughter is reading out loud to me but I am distracted by how much HR Pufnstuf looks like Jason Giambi. Maybe it's just me.

I read "Brown Rabbit's Shape Book" awfully quick.

I also start to think about how David Ortiz was brought in last year to be Jeremy Giambi's backup at first base last year. Now neither Giambi is playing in this series. I hadn't thought about Jeremy Giambi for a long time. It occurs to me that Jason Giambi was about as productive for the Yankees this year (.208 BA / .379 SLG and one HR per 22 AB) as his brother was for the Red Sox last year (.197 BA / .354 SLG / and one HR per 25.4 AB). At least the Red Sox were able to just cut Jeremy - the Yankees will be stuck with Jason and his munga contract.

Hmmmm... I crack open my first beer. There is nothing like the first sip of your first ice cold beer of the night.

The Star Wars opening to the Fox broadcast was pretty cute. I especially liked Johnny Damon as Chewbacca. They did miss an opportunity for Yoda to use his famous phrase - "There is no try. There is only do." That would have been perfect for the Red Sox fans in the audience.

Fox brings it back to the studio and I look around for Jeanie Zelaska's fireman pole. It looks like Kevin Kennedy has a dollar bill out in front of him on the desk.

Let me just mention that Mike Mussina has never won 20 games in a season and is 0-4 when opening a series for the Yankees. I should also mention that nobody in Boston likes Tim McCarver very much.

No National Anthem? Remember after 9/11 - all the games included playing the National Anthem? Now the networks have gone back to getting the extra commercial dollars. When did that change back?

McCarver on the first out of the game: "Bernie Williams with his speed... and his glove... and his reach (and his lungs... and his heart... and his eyes... and his....)". Jerry Remy is 1,000 times better than McCarver.

Curt Schilling gives up 2-two out runs on three consecutive hits. I'm just as concerned with the 21 pitches it took to get through the first. Mussina only has 22 pitches thrown after two innings. Yankees 2-0.

McCarver just said that Jeter has "calm eyes". Tim McCarver thinks Derek is dreamy. If Tim McCarver ever made the A-List - he would be a "FOD pushy bottom linked with Derek Jeter."

Yuck! 5-0 Yankees. I'm eating Tums and drinking beer. Derek Lowe is looking good at this point. 6-0 - double Yuck! I check the on-screen TV guide for the first time tonight. Nothing else good is on - otherwise I would be tempted.

"Curtis Leskanic" is Hungarian for "Scott Sauerbeck". I think I may spend the next few innings over at Zombo.com - anything is possible at Zombo.com.

Right now I just want the Red Sox to get a hit. Then I want the announcers in the Fox booth to pass out from carbon-monoxide poisoning. God I hate that Scooter thing. However, I do think it would be cool if the Red Sox did something with Nelson de la Rosa along the same lines. Have Nelson explain the fastball vs. the cutter - who cares if it would be in Spanish and you would need subtitles? In fact Nelson should throw out the first pitch when the series gets back to Boston (I'm curious if Nelson can throw the ball better than John Kerry).

Mussina is perfect after 6 innings. I should never have mentioned that he never had a 20-win season and was 0-4 in game 1's for the Yankees. My stomach is a vat of acid and I feel like I may be physically ill.

Tim Wakefield gives up a HR to Kenny Lofton. 7-0 Yankees. How about them Patriots? 8-0 Yankees. Hey - how many games in a row do you think the Patriots can win?

Here's a discouraging thought for Republicans. Curt Schilling and the Red Sox were about the same betting odds tonight (-$150 for Red Sox vs. +$135 Yankees) as the betting odds for Bush to win re-election (-$155 for Bush vs. +$130 for Kerry).

OK - this is more like it. Red Sox get three runs. 8-3 Yankees. Why keep Mussina in there when you'll need him fresh for the rest of the series? OK - now Mussina is out and Worcester's own Tanyon Sturtze is in and Jason Varitek says "How do you do." 8-5 Yankees.

If the Yankees blow this game - Mike Mussina will go completely Kevin Brown in the lockerroom after the game.

David Ortiz comes up F'n huge! A triple for Ortiz that scores two more runs? Ortiz only had 3 triples this year and only 8 in his career. 8-7 Yankees. Michelle at A Small Victory ain't so cocky now. Bring in Rivera. We no scared of any stinking Rivera!

No matter what happens - Jon Lieber is probably shitting his pants tonight.

Bernie Williams always kills the Red Sox. A two-out triple plates two and the score is 10-7 Yankees. That is probably the ballgame but I think the Red Sox made a big impression with their come-back.

Yankees win 10-7 and I hear Sinatra playing when I really wanted Liza (baseball fans know what I mean).

Pedro will come up big. Don't worry (be happy).

No comments:

Post a Comment