Sunday, October 17, 2004

Wicked Pissed

OK - last night did it. I used to be a "sunny side of the street" type of guy when it came to Terry Francona's managing but now my eyes are open.

The reason why the Yankees have won more games this year than the Red Sox can be explained in two words - Joe Torre. The Red Sox actually have better talent but the Yankees have the trump card in Joe Torre.

It's not even a question of Joe making the right moves that makes him so successful. Many times it is a question of him not making a dumb move just for the sake of making a move.

Last night Terry Francona made a dumb move just to make a move and I'm still wicked pissed about it.

Bronson Arroyo was ineffective and was pulled after 2 innings. Ramiro Mendoza was very effective in his inning of work but when he hit a batter to start off the forth - Francona pulled him in favor of Curtis "now sporting a 20.25 ERA" Leskanic.

I screamed at the TV when this move was made. Mendoza had only thrown 20 pitches. Francona was nuking his bullpen options in just the forth inning. When Leskanic blew-up - I did the only thing that seemed reasonable at the time - I started doing shots of Jaegermeister at the bar.

Now I fully understand that managing in the post-season is new to Francona and that he'll hopefully improve. I also realize that without Francona - Boston may have not gotten Schilling to agree to a trade here. I'm not advocating firing him. I'm just mad about the way he managed last night's game.

Scratch that - I'm not mad about the way he managed last night's game - I'm wicked pissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment