Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Carlos Delgado?

Maybe the last big name free agent yet to signed is Carlos Delgado. There is no denying that Delgado can mash the ball. Last year he hit 32 HR and had a "down year" OPS of .907 in just 128 games played. Delgado started off very slow last year but came on strong by hitting 22 HR with a 1.033 OPS after the All-Star break.

I'm writing this to say that I think that whatever team signs him will end up regretting it.

You have to believe that there is a reason that Delgado is the last big-name player standing. Is it because some question his desire to win? He did turn down a mid-season trade to the playoff bound Dodgers when it was clear that Toronto no longer wanted or could afford him. Is it because of his political stand regarding the National Anthem? In Toronto that stuff isn't news (in fact it is respected) but that act won't play in Arlington, Texas - the heart of Bush country. It also won't play at Shea after any game where Delgado goes 0-4.

The big reason I think Delgado will prove to be a mistake is because he reminds me so much of Mo Vaughn. There I said it.

When Mo Vaughn was 32 - he hit 36 HR and drove in 117 runs. True Vaughn was damaged goods by that point but he did manage to play 139 games that year. Did I already mention that Delgado only played 128 games this year or that he turns 33 in June? I see Carlos Delgado and I think Mo Vaughn. (That's what surprises me about the Mets pursuit of Delgado - don't they ever learn?)

The Orioles and the Marlins are the two other teams interested in Delgado. The Marlins have a limited budget and would be MUCH better off giving that money to Josh Beckett in a long-term deal. The Orioles are desperate for starting pitching and yet they will end up proposing a 3-year $36 million plus deal?

The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that Theo Epstein was also interested in Delgado. That doesn't stop me from thinking Mo Vaughn when I see Carlos Delgado.

Mark my words - whatever team that signs Delgado will come to regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment