Friday, February 11, 2005

Arthur Miller Dead at 89

Arthur Miller is considered a giant among American playwrights. Personally, I only read his Death of a Salesman and The Crucible (and I considered The Crucible to be the superior work). Neither of these plays made me want to read more of Miller's work and that probably sums up best how I felt about his writing.

Miller was also an American icon. He was a successful author, he stood up to the House Un-American Activities Committee and he was married to Marilyn Monroe at one time. I'm honestly more interested in icons than playwrights.

I find it interesting that he supplied to voice to William Tecumseh Sherman in Ken Burn's epic documentary The Civil War. I think it's cool that his daughter Rebecca is married to Daniel Day-Lewis. Did I mention that he was married to Marilyn Monroe?

I think less of Miller because he reportedly mistreated Marilyn (Joe DiMaggio hated Miller) and I think even less of him because he had a son with Down Syndrome who Miller had committed to an institution and who Miller reportedly never visited.

Arthur Miller belonged to a Bohemian period of American history where personal freedom and expression ruled the day. Miller embodied the man who was more at home at the Playboy Mansion than a PTA meeting. Miller may have been the man in the 50's and 60's but today he seems confined to sophomore high school English classes.

I feel no sorrow for Miller because it seems he had a good run and every play must close sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment