Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Jeromy Burnitz to Cubs?

The rumor is that once the Sammy Sosa deal is official that the Cubs will sign Jeromy Burnitz to replace Sosa's bat in the line-up.

I admit that I've only seen Burnitz play on TV a couple of times and that I'm mostly guided by his stats but I don't see the problem with Jeromy Burnitz. Why are some Cubs fans so against signing him? Help me out here.

I mean with Burnitz you get a guy who will give you 30 HR and who can play all three outfield positions. You also get him cheap - maybe $2 million per year. What's the problem?

And for those people who think that Burnitz's stats are inflated because he played at Coors Field last year consider that for his career Burnitz has hit a HR once every 12.5 AB at Coors but also a HR once every 12.9 AB at Wrigley. For comparison Moises Alou has averaged a HR once every 17.3 AB at Wrigley and Sammy Sosa a HR once every 11.9 AB.

No comments:

Post a Comment