Monday, February 07, 2005

MMQB Review

Here are the five things I think I think about today's Monday Morning Quarterback by Peter King. Most of the good stuff comes at the end of today's offering by King:

1. I don't think you'll ever see something similar written about Bill Belichick
I think everyone in the press box was aghast at Andy Reid's clock management late in the game. With 5:40 left, and his team down by 10, Reid showed no urgency whatsoever to get his team into the no-huddle. Needing two scores in five minutes, it was ludicrous to be that lackadaisical. If the Eagles had scored with three minutes to go with their two timeouts left, they would have had a choice -- onside kick or regular kick. But running nine plays in three minutes and 20 seconds, when you don't have time to spare ... I mean, it's like Reid didn't trust McNabb to run the hurry-up offense
2. McNabb's stats looked good (except for the INT's) but he really played bad
I think Donovan McNabb came up small. He could have had four straight passes picked late in the first quarter if penalties and a drop didn't help him out. This is a big stage, and everything was on his shoulders. He had a C-minus game.
I wonder if Rush Limbaugh is feeling any vindication today? The word over-rated was used about McNabb several times by the fans watching the game where I was last night.

3. Bill Simmons - Peter King is calling your whiny ass out:
I have no problem with Jacksonville as a Super Bowl site. Not my favorite, or even close, and sort of a Hartford with palm trees, but anyplace with a few good restaurants, which this place has, and decent logistics is fine with me. I mean, who cares about sportswriters bitching anyway?
I wonder if the Sports Guy is regretting his coffee with Peter stories now?

4. King twice mentions Eric Mangini leaving the Patriots to be a defensive coordinator with the Dolphins. This makes no sense. The Patriots just lost their defensive coordinator (Crennel took the Cleveland head coaching job). Mangini will be promoted to defensive coordinator in New England. He's not going anywhere.

5. I'm surprised that there was no mention of Ken Powers. Peter King never shies away from being part of the story and here he was front and center in the plagiarism story. Maybe King would rather put the episode behind him or maybe King is aware how much his article the Powers copied resembles information in Michael Holley's book on the Patriots?

No comments:

Post a Comment