Sunday, April 10, 2005

Red Sox / Blue Jays Game 5

Where to start with this one? The Sox lost 12-6 after falling behind 5-1 then tying the game and then giving up 6 runs. Ugly game to watch.

Last year David Wells only gave up ten hits in a game twice the whole season. So far this year he has given up ten hits in one start and nine in the other. Three of those nine hits given up yesterday were home runs. So far this year Wells has given up 10 earned runs in little over 10 innings.

The above is a long winded way of saying so far this year David Wells has sucked.

I'm sure he'll improve and I don't buy into those who believe that because he got a two year contract that he's just waiting til the second year to really try. Wells contract this year is incentive laden and I'm sure that with some small adjustments Wells will be a very servicable number 3 starter. Two starts is too little to judge how Wells will pitch for the 2005 Sox.

Hey speaking about sucking - how about that Blaine Neal? When I called him this year's Bobby Jones after the first game I was being kind. I'm looking forward to the Sox taking Curt Schilling off the DL and giving Neal his outright release. I know I just got done saying two games isn't enough to judge a pitcher but I'm making an exception for Neal. I'd rather see McCarty pitch.

Yesterday both Johnny Damon and Edgar Renteria were absent from the starting line-up. Damon is still out due to the stitches in his arm and Renteria was given a rest because he seems to be pressing.

At Monday's Home Opener there will be moments of silence for Pope John Paul II and Dick Radatz. I don't know why but the pairing of the Monster and the Pope while appropriote just struck my funny bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment