Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Field of Dreams

Sheila has a very thought provoking post on the role of Amy Madigan's character in Field of Dreams. Her post was timely since Field of Dreams was on SPIKE last night.

Field of Dreams is one of Sheila's favorite movies (she explains why) and it used to be one of mine. I say used to be because there are three main problems I have with the movie that the more I see the movie - the more trouble I have overlooking what I see as major flaws.

1. I can't help thinking that Amy Madigan is really Willem Defoe in a wig.

2. Ray gets a vision of a baseball field where home plate is next to the field of corn and he builds it completely opposite of the vision. What's up with that?

3. Ray is in financial trouble and may lose his farm and his house and Terence Mann does nothing. I mean Terence Mann is one of the most famous authors of the sixties who must have royalty checks up the wazoo plus he sold children's software at the height of the Internet bubble. He lives very modestly and you know that he's loaded with cash and yet he does nothing to help Ray except give a speech about baseball. Terence Mann you cheap bastard!

Sorry - got carried away. That always happens when I think about or watch Field of Dreams. Sorry.

Hat Tip to BST for Sheila's link

No comments:

Post a Comment