Monday, May 09, 2005

Gadzooks!

When Giacomo won the Derby on Saturday, a friend of mine exclaimed, "Gadzooks! That's going to be a huge payoff for the trifecta."

I almost peed my pants laughing because the "Gadzooks!" exlamation was so out of place from my friend from whom I've come to expect more crass exclamations like "holy f*ck!" I also found it funny because I know that the origin of "Gadzooks" is literally "God's hooks" so in my mind I had done the subconscious translation to "God's hooks! That's going to be a huge payoff for the trifecta." I then also pictured my friend wearing a pirate hat and a frilly shirt. Did I mention I almost peed myself laughing?

BTW - God's hooks refers to the nails that were used to nail Jesus to the cross. Funny the types of things you can learn by reading A Large Regular

No comments:

Post a Comment