Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Red Sox / Tigers - Game 26

Here are some thoughts from last night's game (the first game I've seen in almost a week):

1. Kevin Millar is off to an awful start. Through 26 games and 88 AB - here are Millar's numbers;

Millar - .250 BA / 0 HR / 12 RBI / .380 OBP / .307 SLG

When I look at Millar's number's I can't help but think of Jeremy Giambi. Here's what Giambi managed in the 50 games and 127 AB he had for the Sox in 2003;

Giambi - .197 BA / 5 HR / 15 RBI / .342 OBP / .354 SLG

Giambi's excuse was that he was injured (and that he sucked). What's Millar's excuse? It could be that at 33-years old (almost 34) - Millar's skills are just diminished and what we are seeing are the natural slide from his peak 2-years ago.

I think it is clear that this will be Millar's last year with the Red Sox. Millar is a free agent after this year and will be looking for $4-5 million which ain't going to happen. In fact - if he keeps up his current pace - he'll be lucky to last till the All-Star break with Boston.

While I was gone the Sox signed John Olerud to a minor league deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox are also working on a trade for a 1st baseman that would put Olerud in the back-up role Mientkiewicz was in last year and Millar out of the picture completely.

As I mentioned this morning - the situation for the Yankees at 1st is a mess but it is also not much better (if at all) for the Sox. One thing I really like about the Olerud signing is it takes an option away from the Yankees.

Of course Millar has always been a streak hitter and he could get red hot and put up 5-10 HR over 10-15 games but if he's going to do that then he better do it quick because I think time is running out for him.

2. Doug Mirabelli hit a grand slam last night. That was the big hit of the night and I knew he was going to hit it. I love Mirabelli. He's the best back-up in baseball and he's a monster with the bases loaded. In his career he's hit 3 grand slams in just 30 AB with the bases loaded and his OPS in those situations is a robust 1.183. Compare that to Pudge Rodriguez who only has 5 grand slams in 149 AB's with the bases loaded (that's only 2 more HR in almost 5 times as many opportunities).

3. Keith Foulke gave up another home run last night. I blame the influence of Blaine Neal.

Seriously - I'm not worried about it. Last year Foulke looked awful in Spring Training and I didn't know until I read Johnny Damon's book that it was because his shins were all bruised up from extra fielding practice. Unlike Millar - I don't think there's anything to worry about with Foulke.

4. I would like to see Kevin Youkilis given a shot at first if Millar keeps up his slump. I really like "Jelly" and hope he gets a shot but I also really like Bill Mueller. Youk's at first would give me the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment