Saturday, August 20, 2005

Manny and Millar

Manny Ramirez took some heat this week because he said he couldn't play in Wednesday's game against the Tigers. I have a suspiscion that Kevin Millar played a role in his decision not to play.

I think Manny took the day off because he looks at Kevin Millar as a friend and he didn't want to see his friend on the bench. Seriously. If Manny played Wednesday, John Olerud would have been at first, Gabe Kapler would have been in right and Millar would have been on the bench. Manny knows that Millar is struggling and that Millar could probably use all the plate appearances he can get to break out of his HR slump.

This is also the second time this season that Manny took a day off without any warning and both times Millar would have been on the bench if Manny played instead. In a strange way - I find this loyalty to Millar admirable by Manny. I can't say the same about Millar accepting this largess.

Manny is a simple guy. I think most people who follow the Red Sox would agree that Manny's request to be traded was probably due to Pedro Martinez getting into his head and convincing him that he would be better off in New York with the Mets. I have to wonder if the idea to sit so that Millar wouldn't have to (if I'm correct about this) originated with Millar and was not an original Manny idea.

If the idea for Manny to sit came from Millar in any way - then that's just another reason for me not to like Millar (I have many other reasons).

Yesterday Victor Davis Hanson referred to Jimmy Carter as Pius Maximus which I thought was a great name for Carter. Would "Fama Maximus Laboris Minimus" be a likewise good name for Kevin Millar?

No comments:

Post a Comment