Saturday, August 06, 2005

Mocking the Donkey

The other night, my family and I went out to eat at Outback Steak House. Like many chains, their walls are decorated with many conversation pieces. Our table got a conversation out of one of the pieces that made me chuckle and that I thought I'd share.

My son, soon to be a fourth grader, pointed at one of the paintings and asked, "why is that man mocking that donkey?"

"What is the man doing?" I asked.

"Mocking the donkey," said my son.

I turned around to look at the painting in question. It showed a cowboy shoeing a horse while smiling at a donkey who was looking on. I explained what was happening in the picture to my son but the phrase "mocking the donkey" has stayed with me since that night.

For all I know - maybe the cowboy was mocking the donkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment