Monday, December 12, 2005

NFL Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous NFL thoughts and observations.

My buddies Tim and Brian were telling me Saturday how the offshore Internet bookmakers took a beating last Sunday because all the favorites covered. Well I get the feeling that those same bookmakers made all that money back yesterday. The Bengals, Colts, Chargers and Broncos probably broke a bunch of bank accounts yesterday. Bookies always say they don't pay out money to winners - they just lend it to them... I think the Colts will go undefeated in the regular season but I don't think they will win the Super Bowl... Peter King has New England listed 3rd in his Fine 15. The 8-5 Patriots are ahead of the 11-2 Seahawks and the 10-3 Bengals. I love the Patriots but I wouldn't in good conscience list them above Seattle. You also have to recall that King was the guy who picked the Vikings to be in the Super Bowl and for the longest time couldn't find it in his heart to drop the Eagles out of the top 15... You know - Peyton Manning won his MVPs because he carried a Colts team that had no defense. Meanwhile - the knock on Tom Brady as far as the MVP was that the Patriots were a complete team that didn't rely on one man. Now the case is reversed but do you see people saying Brady should be the MVP? I think this is unjust and even though he was just named SI's Sportsman of the Year - Tom Brady is still underappreciated in many ways... Maybe the strangest stat I've seen all year is the fact that Tom Brady out-rushed the entire Bills team yesterday. Brady had 17 yards on 4 carries while the bills had 14 yards on 12 carries.

No comments:

Post a Comment