Thursday, January 26, 2006

Snow on the Beach

I had business up at HQ today but left before it got dark because I wanted to enjoy a ride down the New Hampshire coast. Driving along the coast is one of the simple pleasures I enjoy. The Atlantic is a joy in summer but it something altogether different in winter. It is something everyone should experience.

Today's drive was extra special. It was a clear, crisp day. Bright and sunny with temperatures just above freezing. It had snowed earlier this week and Southern New Hampshire was blanketed in about 5 inches of snow. It had not been warm enough for the snow to melt so that when I got to the ocean I was greeted by the wonderful sight of the beaches covered with snow from the breakwalls to the high tide mark.

As I drove down the coast I beheld something on Hampton Beach that I never dreamed I'd see and shall never forget. Just past the blue Red Cross building I saw an elderly couple cross country skiing on the beach.

Picture that in your mind's eye and tell me it doesn't bring a smile to your face.

Snow covered sand, bright sunshine, waves breaking in the background and an elderly couple bundled up and skiing on the beach.

Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment