Sunday, February 12, 2006

Baseball Writers Who Make You Say "Thanks for Nothing"

Sometimes the writers for MLB.com have no clue. For an example I give you Mychael Urban. I read his most recent "mailbag" and was annoyed to the point of having to comment about it. Take his thoughts about Jay Payton to start with:
Payton is on a one-year deal, and as a seasoned veteran, is no doubt better equipped to handle coming off the bench. Ironically, his experience is actually a decent argument in favor of him being the fourth outfielder.
Seasoned veteran my ass - disgruntled baby is more like it. Ask any Red Sox fan how Payton handles coming off the bench as a fourth outfielder. Urban continues on the crack pipe with:
Let me address another Payton-related question while we're on the topic. More than a few readers have suggested that Payton showed his "true colors" in the wake of the Frank Thomas signing by suggesting that he'd be happier elsewhere if he isn't starting for Oakland. Some pointed to his trade manipulation in Boston last year as evidence that he's not a team guy and a potential divisive force in the clubhouse. I disagree.
Did Payton smile at you when he gave you a quote or something? The guy managed to piss off Terry Francona who never gets upset at anyone. Yeah with Payton and Milton Bradley - you have the makings for a real happy clubhouse. Urban finishes up with the old "Trust me: Payton is good people." Of course you know how a journalist says "fuck you"? "Trust me".

Not to harp on Urban (OK thats exactly what I'm doing) but read this mailbag exchange:
I'm assuming that Barry Zito will start on Opening Night against the Yankees. Any idea how the new rotation shakes out behind him? -- Erica D., Walnut Creek, Calif.

Not to be flippant, Erica, but who cares?
Well obvious Erica cared you jackass or she wouldn't have taken the time to write you. Yeesh.

The take a gander at the final question and answer in the mailbag:
With the wild manes of Zito, Haren and Kielty waving around last year, I thought Kirk Saarloos' hair didn't get its due. I saw him in the dugout without a hat a few times, and it was impressive. Is that why he shaved his head? -- Jon S. Oakland, Calif.

I'm so glad someone noticed the majesty of Kirk's 2005 mop. It really was a sight, particularly when he'd spike it with product after games. So why did he lose it? I asked him that at a team function last week, and he said he wanted to look meaner now that he's going to be working out of the bullpen.
I am simply amazed both at the fact that Urban gets paid for this drivel and that fans still bother to send him questions. I've seen at least a half dozen blogs that cover the A's that put Urban to shame. Maybe I just caught Urban on a bad day but this "mailbag" was crap and I'd be ashamed of putting my name to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment