Sunday, February 26, 2006

Don Knotts - Phi Sigma Kappa - RIP



When I joined my fraternity in college - one of my secret shames was how few famous people belonged to my fraternity. The only two famous people I could recall who were Phi Sig brothers were Martin Milner from the TV show Adam-12 and Don Knotts. Let's just say that in college you never heard me utter, "I'm in Phi Sig - you know the same fraternity Don Knotts belonged to." (I should note that I went to UMass and Knotts went to West Viginia - don't recall where Milner went to college.)

As I got older I came to appreciate Don Knotts more. His characters always got into trouble but they were always good intentions behind the comedy. Even the would-be swinger Mr. Furley had a heart of gold. Barney Fife may be the best supporting character in the history of situation comedy. Knotts also starred in one of my favorite childhood movies - The Incredible Mr. Limpet (which grave robber Steve Martin is probably already working on a re-make for).

After looking up famous brothers from Phi Sig - its cool to know that GE's Jack Welsh and football great Frank Gifford were also Phi Sigma Kappas but today I'm proudest of being a Phi Sig because that was the fraternity Don Knotts belonged to.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:25 PM

    This post is so old it's probably irrelevant but we Phi Sigs also have Cheech Marin.

    Damn Proud from Epsilon Deuteron!

    ReplyDelete