Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Words We Don't Use Any More
I know it’s late, I know you’re weary
I know your plans don’t include me
The lines are from Bob Seger's We Got Tonight.

I heard the song on the radio today and it occurred to me that we don't use the word "weary" anymore. Think about it. When's the last time you said. "I'm feeling weary" or asked "are you OK, you look pretty weary?"

We simply don't say weary anymore - we say tired. It is similar to how the colonials would say "beseech" instead of "beg". One day people realized that it was just easier to say "beg" instead of "beseech" and that was that. I'm afraid that the word weary has seen its day and like the word "dungarees" - it will be spoken by fewer and fewer people.

We have grown "weary" of the word "weary".

No comments:

Post a Comment