Sunday, May 07, 2006

Baird Bums - The Lot of Ya!

I've always been partial to the Kansas City Royals probably because I've been to Kaufman Stadium more than any other park outside of Fenway. To see the depths that the Royals have sunk is depressing and the person to blame is Allard Baird. The team is completely out of order (so to speak) - so much so that it reminds me of a famous movie quote from Scent of a Woman:
Out of order, I show you out of order. You don't know what out of order is, Mr. Trask. I'd show you, but I'm too old, I'm too tired, I'm too fuckin' blind. If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place! Out of order? Who the hell do you think you're talkin' to? I've been around, you know? There was a time I could see. And I have seen. Boys like these, younger than these, their arms torn out, their legs ripped off. But there isn't nothin' like the sight of an amputated spirit. There is no prosthetic for that. You think you're merely sending this splendid foot soldier back home to Oregon with his tail between his legs, but I say you are... executin' his soul! And why? Because he's not a Bairdman. Bairdmen. You hurt this boy, you're gonna be Baird bums, the lot of ya.
Baird bums - the lot of ya. Man does that describe the current Royals roster to a tee or what?

The Royals stand at 7-21 right now - which is THE WORST record in baseball. Talk about amputated spirit. The man to blame is Allard Baird and he should pay with his job.

Nothing exhibits the failure of Baird better than the current state of 3rd baseman Mark Teahen and catcher John Buck. These were the "stud" prospects Baird traded Carlos Beltran for. Combined they are hitting just .198 this season (as in 2 points below .200).

As Joe Posnanski recently put it - Baird is a decent man, but he must be fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment