Monday, June 12, 2006

Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Wall!

On this date (June 12th) in 1987 - President Ronald Reagan made his famous speech at the Brandenburg Gate in West Berlin. Two years later the wall would come tumbling down and with it the Solviet Union.
"General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
Lesser known and remembered is this passage which Reagan closed his speech with:
As I looked out a moment ago from the Reichstag, that embodiment of German unity, I noticed words crudely spray-painted upon the wall, perhaps by a young Berliner: "This wall will fall. Beliefs become reality." Yes, across Europe, this wall will fall. For it cannot withstand faith; it cannot withstand truth. The wall cannot withstand freedom.

And I would like, before I close, to say one word. I have read, and I have been questioned since I've been here about certain demonstrations against my coming. And I would like to say just one thing, and to those who demonstrate so. I wonder if they have ever asked themselves that if they should have the kind of government they apparently seek, no one would ever be able to do what they're doing again.
You can find a complete text of the speech here.

No comments:

Post a Comment