Saturday, June 03, 2006

X-Men: The Last Stand

Last night I went to see X-Men III (as everyone calls it). I ended up being highly entertained but slightly disappointed at the same time. Let me explain.

X-Men III relies upon lots of new mutant characters, lots of CGI and lots of mayhem to entertain. The earlier movies had much better character development and dialog. I left the first two X-Men installments psyched and wanting to see them again or at least buy the DVD - X-Men III not so much.

I guess these differences were to be expected. This movie was directed by Brett Ratner who replaced Bryan Singer (who also has the excellent Usual Suspects to his credit). I guess the movie last night was satisfying but it was like seeing The Producers on Broadway expecting Lane and Broderick but getting the understudies instead.

If you go to the movie and are an X-Men fan - make sure you stay to the very end because there is a very short extra scene at the end that is worth seeing.

(Mini-spoiler Alert) One thing bugged me. The "humans" had a serum that could change a mutant back to a "homo sapien" but when they had Mystique, Juggernaut and Multiple Man in captivity - they never used it on them. Can anyone explain to me why in the world they would not have used the guns with the serum darts on these mutants when they had them chained up and helpless?

No comments:

Post a Comment