Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Baseball Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous baseball thoughts and observations.

I was traveling last night and did not see the All-Star game. I must say that by examining the box-score - I'm thinking it was a pretty boring game. Was I right?... Is Johan Santana really 34 years old? For some reason I thought he was younger… I think the Bronson Arroyo second half meltdown has begun. By the time the season is over – Arroyo will be just barely over .500 and his ERA will be exactly league average. It was that way last year and I look for the same to happen this year. I’m glad he made the all-star team but he really is just an average pitcher (although one with above average PR “packaging” – he was named after Charles Bronson, he sometimes corn-rows his hair and he plays a pretty decent guitar)… It is discouraging to note that no team has left more runners on base in the first half of the season than the Boston Red Sox (720). Only the Yankees (681), Dodgers (677) and Cincinnati (673) are even close... I'd like to thank Trevor Hoffman for giving the Red Sox home field advantage in the World Series...

No comments:

Post a Comment