Monday, July 31, 2006

Mel Gibson

So Mel Gibson was arrested for a possible DUI. That surprised me because I thought he was an alcoholic and on the wagon. And I guess that during his arrest he had some pretty nasty anti-Semitic things to say. That surprises me less than him being off the wagon.

Seriously - how can anyone be surprised when a Hollywood star turns out to be a moron in real life? Seriously (or as Al Gore would say "I'm totally cereal").

I wasn't even going to comment on this except I ran across this headline "Jewish groups call for hate-crime probe on Mel Gibson" Hate crime? You've got to be kidding. Charging Mel Gibson with a hate crime for spouting off anti-Semitic gibberish while drunk would really be pushing things into the land of the bizarre (but luckily I work best in the land of the bizarre).

Literally my first two thoughts upon reading that linked article were:

1. If they did charge Mel Gibson with a hate crime for saying among other things,
""F*****g Jews. The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world."
Gibson's lawyers could produce a bizarro Miracle on 34th Street scenario where the prosecution may have to prove that all the wars in the world are not caused by "the Jews". Can you imagine that courtroom scene?

2. You know someone is going to go back and redub some of Gibson's finer work with anti-Semitic language for comic effect. How long before someone redubs Gibson's speech to the men before the battle of Hastings, "They may take our lives but they'll never take our freedom - those f*cking Jews."

I'm disappointed but not surprised that Mel Gibson turned out to be a bigot but being a moron is not a crime and charging people for saying stupid things while they are drunk has to be one of the dumber things I've read in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment