Thursday, August 17, 2006

Baseball Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous baseball thoughts and observations.

It was rumored back in July of 2005 that the Blue Jays turned down a Ryan Howard for Ted Lilly deal. I would really like to know if there was any truth to that rumor. Can you imagine how that trade could have changed the dynamics of the AL East race this year?... When I first heard about Eric Hinske coming to Boston I was against the trade. Now that I've had a chance to think about it - I like it a lot. Hinske makes a great left-handed bat off the bench and can back-up Lowell at 3rd, Youkilis at 1st and Willy Mo Pena in right (all right-handed batters). If the Blue Jays are picking up half of his salary for next year as reported - then the deal just got even better and the Trot Nixon era in Boston will officially come to a close after this season.... Just a reminder on an earlier prediction - here is what I wrote about Bronson Arroyo back on July 12th:
I think the Bronson Arroyo second half meltdown has begun. By the time the season is over – Arroyo will be just barely over .500 and his ERA will be exactly league average. It was that way last year and I look for the same to happen this year. I’m glad he made the all-star team but he really is just an average pitcher (although one with above average PR “packaging” – he was named after Charles Bronson, he sometimes corn-rows his hair and he plays a pretty decent guitar)
As of this morning Arroyo is 10-8 with a 3.45 ERA (the league average ERA is 4.50). In 7 starts since my prediction Arroyo has gone 1-2 with 4 no decisions. I still look for Arroyo to finish .500 but his ERA may be a little better than league average.

No comments:

Post a Comment