Thursday, August 17, 2006

Gays in the Military

I wonder if 100 years from now people will look at our policies on gays in the military similar to how we look at the policies regarding blacks in the army prior to the Civil War?

In the fight against radical/militant Islam - it can be argued that the two groups that have the most to lose are women and homosexuals. Under strict Islamic law being a homosexual is tantamount to a death sentence and being a woman seems almost no different from being chattel in my eyes. Shouldn't those who have the most lose at the very least be allowed to fight?

Women seem to have been integrated into military service with little esprit de corps issues and I think the same would be true of gays. I mean I think it is crazy for people to think there aren't gays in the military as it is. It is just that now they get booted if they are "caught in the act" or come out of the closet. Booted no matter how good a soldier they are.

Militant Islam is a virus. A virus that currently gays are not allowed to fight against in the US military. Can you imagine if there was a law that said that homosexuals were allowed to work to find a cure for the AIDS virus only if they kept their homosexuality a secret? The "don't ask - don't tell" law seems equally silly to me.

This brings me to another question I have. Seeing that women and homosexuals have the most to lose in the spread of militant Islam - you would think that those groups would politically be on the forefront of the fight to stop Taliban-like regimes yet the opposite seems to be the case. I don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment