Sunday, August 20, 2006

Jamie Moyer

I was shocked to see that the Mariners traded Jamie Moyer. Shocked.

After I got over being shocked - I became disgusted and then my disgust became mixed with anger.

Jamie Moyer is the all-time leader in wins for the Mariner franchise. The all-time leader in wins who also happens to be a perfect gentleman and stalwart of the Seattle community. Traded - nay discarded for two single A "prospects".

I first learned of the trade via ESPN. It was only after I read the above linked article that I learned that Moyer is from Pennsylvania and approved the deal. That puts a different light on things. Moyer is a free-agent at the end of the season and I had assumed that the all-time wins leader for the Mariners was a shoe-in to re-sign with Seattle. That assumption may have been way off base.

Moyer is just 6-12 but his ERA of 4.39 is very respectable (by comparison Kenny Rogers is 20th in the AL in ERA with a 4.34 mark). Moyer has been an innings machine and this year is no exception. His 160 innings pitched currently ranks 13th in the AL. Only Curt Schilling among Red Sox starters has more IP than Moyer.

I'm a bit angry because the way I understand how the waiver system works - Moyer would have to first clear waivers among AL teams before becoming eligible to be claimed by an NL club like the Phillies. That means that the Red Sox did not put in a claim on Moyer even though they are in desperate need for a starter. As a 10/5 guy - Moyer has the right to decline any trade he wishes but I wonder if the idea of going back to the team where he started his career would have had an appeal to Moyer. The Sox are in the middle of a playoff hunt and they have the money to sign a guy like Moyer at the end of the season - so I would have to think that the conditions would have been enticing for Moyer. Maybe I am as wrong about that as I was about Moyer re-signing with Seattle?

Maybe Moyer was asked about Boston and said no (his career 5.43 ERA at Fenway would be good reason for him to decline to waive his no-trade).

My emotions have gone from shock, to disgust, to anger and now to acceptance and a certain sense of perspective. As bad as its been to be a Red Sox fan these past two days - it could be worse. I could be a Mariner fan.

Moyer's next win puts him into a tie for 83rd place with Chief Bender on the all-time wins list.

No comments:

Post a Comment