Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Scream

On this date in 2004 - Edward Munch's masterpiece The Scream was stolen from the Munch Museum in Oslo, Norway. The painting still has not been recovered.

Yesterday the Yankees stole the last vestige of hope of winning the AL East from Red Sox Nation. The Yankees completed a 5-game sweep of the Red Sox leaving the only detail what to call the whitewash. Today sportswriters have the job of coming up with a colorful phrase to describe the devastating 5-game debacle. My guess is that with the current decline in talent in the sportswriter ranks - the best phrase will be something lame like "Boston Massacre II".

The original title of Munch's work was "scream passing through nature". I don't run a sports section but if I did I think for today's section I would skip writing any type of analysis of the sweep and simply photoshop a picture of the scream. I would put a Red Sox cap on the guy in the foreground and Yankee caps on the guys in the background. The readers of the sports section would not only get the message - they would probably relate to it very well.

I would title the piece - "scream passing through Red Sox Nation."

No comments:

Post a Comment