Thursday, October 26, 2006

Interview with David Zucker

NRO has an interesting interview with David Zucker (the creator of the Airplane and Naked Gun movies). This to me was the key passage:
And this whole idea of being loyal to a party — you know, generationally it probably shouldn’t stay the same. A lot of Democrats still think they’re voting for JFK, or Roosevelt, or Truman, but the party has changed so much. They don’t realize it. It’s a lot like the traffic in LA. In 1972 it was bad, and now it’s a lot worse, but I didn’t really notice the change because it happened so gradually.

The same thing is true for the Democrats. I don’t think people realize how much they’ve changed and what they really stand for now. It’s run by the far-out nutcases. I still consider myself a JFK Democrat. Strong defense and lower taxes. That’s what Kennedy stood for, and that’s what Bush wants, so if I have to be a Republican, I’ll swallow hard and be a Republican.
I feel the exact same way. Tax cuts were a JFK creation but since Reagan and Bush used them too - they have become taboo for Democrats. If there were any JFK type Democrats today - I have no doubt that the far left would run them out of the party on a rail.

No comments:

Post a Comment