Thursday, October 25, 2007

There Has to be a Morning After

Last night I missed the first 3 and a half innings of game 1 of the World Series because I'm traveling in Atlanta and I was at a business dinner. I ended up missing the last two innings because I fell asleep in my hotel room. I'm completely fine with what I saw of the game.

I missed the first 3 and a half inning because of the business dinner but I'm not complaining. The dinner was at the Atlanta Grill which is at the Ritz Carlton. The food was unbelievable. I had the duck. More importantly the dinner went very well business wise.

It was 4-1 at the Red Sox were at bat in the 4th when I got back to my hotel room. I saw the Sawx score 2 in the 4th and tack on 7 more in the 5th. It was 13-1 and I was not surprised at all that the Red Sox got to Jeff Francis the same way they got to Cleveland's CC Sabathia. However, is it the mark of a New England fan that this blowout actually made me nervous?

My thoughts drifted back to the 1985 Boston Celtics who blew out the Los Angeles Lakers 148-114 in game 1 of the World Championship but ended up losing the series 4 games to 2. I know I shouldn't be nervous and that the 2007 Red Sox are not the 1985 Celtics and certainly the 2007 Rockies are not the 1985 Lakers which was one the best NBA teams ever assembled (with a starting five of Kareem Abdul-Jabaar, James Worthy, Magic Johnson, Byron Scott and Michael Cooper). Still the thought has been planted in the back of my brain.

Today's Red Sox have Josh Beckett who has quickly become one of the best playoff pitchers in history. Last night's win improved Beckett's playoff record to 6-2 (in 9 starts) and lowered his post-season ERA to 1.73. Amazingly Beckett gives up an earned run in the playoffs as often as he walks a hitter (14 post season earned runs and 14 post season walks). A team with Josh Beckett pitching in the playoffs just seems to be invulnerable to losing. Beckett's teams are 5-0 in playoff series. Then again those 1985 Celtics had Larry Bird (sorry can't help it.)

I should make it back home in time to catch the Boston College kickoff. You know I'm looking forward to working the remote tonight. As far as the title of this post is concerned - no I am not a closet Maureen McGovern fan. The phrase just popped into my head and seemed to fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment