Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Yankee Roster Moves

With the Yankees bounced out of the playoffs - I started to think "what would I do if I were the Yankees GM?"

The 2007 team payroll was about $190 million and I'd expect it to be about $200 million in 2008. There are three big contracts that should come off the books this winter:

Roger Clemens - $17 million (approximate)
Bobby Abreu - $15 million
Alex Rodriguez - $20 million ($27 million minus $7 million from Texas)

The last one - A-Rod - is the one which will cause the most heartburn. If A-Rod opts out of his contract - then I bid him adieu and wish him luck. For all the numbers A-Rod has put up - it should not be overlooked that the Yankees made it further into the playoffs with a role-player like Aaron Boone than they did with superstar Alex Rodriguez. I'd make Mike Lowell my priority free-agent signing and would expect 2-years and $25 million would get the job done if Lowell is willing to relocate from Boston. If not - then I'd give Wilson Betemit a shot at 3rd.

The second priority would be to get Andy Pettitte to agree to come back for another year. Pettitte holds a player option for 2008 and if Joe Torre is let go - then I think the new manager would have to be Joe Girardi or Don Mattingly for Pettitte to feel that Yankee pride pull to get him to come back. Otherwise Pettitte easily could just go back to the Astros.

Two other Yankees stalwarts need to be re-signed. Of course I'm talking about Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada. Both these guys are still very productive and both deserve to retire as Yankees. Besides there really aren't any free agent closers or catchers available who could come close to fill their shoes.

There are three players with just one year remaining on their contracts that I would try and shop at $.50 on the dollar:

Jason Giambi - he's $21 million in 2008 plus $5 million 2009 buyout. Maybe Oakland or San Francisco would bite.
Mike Mussina - $11 million - I could see him accepting a trade to either the Phillies or the Orioles. Both teams need starters but I would make sure Pettitte is signed before I tried to deal Mussina.
Carl Pavano - $11 million. This guy needs to get out of town to start over. At $.50 on the dollar - I imagine there are a number of teams that would take the risk.

As far as free agents are concerned - I'd go after either Andruw Jones or Torii Hunter with the idea that either Matsui or Damon would move to DH or 1st base (think Darin Erstad). Don't laugh but I'd also go after Tom Glavine and his guaranteed almost 200 IP per year. Getting Glavine would be a stretch though because I think its down to either play for the Braves or retire.

No comments:

Post a Comment