Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Bowl Money Should Be Taxable

The number of bowls has grown in my lifetime from a handful to the current 32. Last night we had the Humanitarian Bowl, we've had a PapaJohn's.com Bowl and a Meineke Bowl among others. The reason we have so many bowl games is because TV networks like ESPN can make money off them and because the hosting cities can also make some ready cash.

It's greed. And for the most part - it's tax free.

Don't get me wrong - I love all the bowl games but I have to ask what all these extra games have to do with education. Colleges and Universities get tax breaks because they supposedly provide a service to the community at large by providing a haven for higher learning. Does the Humanitarian Bowl really forward the purpose of higher education? Other than allowing more people to learn that the turf at Boise State is blue - what other lesson is being taught here?

Can anyone give me a good reason why the money the colleges get from the Bowls shouldn't be taxed? We are talking millions and millions of dollars for the bowl games and even more for basketball and March Madness. Why shouldn't that money be taxed?

Again - don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of college sports but I do think that Division 1 sports that receive TV revenue should have that income taxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment