Monday, March 03, 2008

Baseball Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous baseball thoughts and observations.

I'm not sure what I think about the Red Sox signing Bartolo Colon. I know the deal is the proverbial low-risk high reward deal. I like the idea that the Red Sox are not standing pat and are trying to make sure they have both depth and options for the 5th starter. However, I don't like the idea of wasting time on a guy who may be washed up when there are a number of young pitchers who can use as much individual attention from the pitching staff as possible. Attention which is diluted by any time spent on Colon. Supposedly Colon can ask to be released by May 1st if he isn't in the majors... In case you missed it - here is Bill James' article on Craig Biggio that appeared in Slate. I must say that for a guy who likes to let the stats do the talking Bill James can have some selective memory. James talks about souring on Craig Biggio a bit because Biggio hung around to get 3,000 hits and because his defense wasn't that great the last few years. That exact same description could be used for Wade Boggs but yet James has never "soured" on Boggs...

No comments:

Post a Comment