Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Pedro and Schilling

Pedro Martinez will be out for 4-6 weeks with a hamstring strain. I had wished that Pedro would have re-signed with the Red Sox and have retired with the Red Sox but if wishes were fishes as they say...

I find it interesting that some folks have started calling Curt Schilling "dead money" because he will miss much (if not all) of this season with an injury. Almost as soon as I heard about Pedro's injury I thought about how Pedro will cost the Mets $11 million this season while Curt's deal with the Red Sox is a more reasonable $8 million (plus incentives).

It will be interesting to follow both players and see who contributes more this season (probably Pedro since I'm not expecting much out of Schilling).

Just for the heck of it - Pedro has been with the Mets since 2005 - here's how his numbers compare to Schilling's since he went to New York:

Pedro - 27-17 / 381 IP / 3.69 ERA / 378 SO
Schilling - 32-23 / 448.33 IP / 4.30 ERA / 371 SO

Not making any editorial comment with this comparison. I just thought it was interesting. I will say that Theo and the front office was correct in not giving Pedro that 4th year in the contract and allowing him to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment