Friday, June 13, 2008

Boston Celtics - I'm a Believer

The Boston Celtics are on the brink of their 17th Championship and the bandwagon is getting full. I'm a believer and have been a believer for a long time.

Going into the series with the Lakers - I believed the Celtics were the better team and I think I have been proved correct. When everyone was talking about how this series was going to validate Kobe Bryant as a super star - I was talking about how a championship would be the coup de grace to getting Paul Pierce's ticket punched into the Basketball Hall of Fame.

During the hard fought series with Atlanta - when everyone was talking about the Celtics not being a championship caliber team because they couldn't win on the road in the playoffs - I was talking about every championship team having to overcome a major unexpected bump in the road and that the Hawks would prove to be the Celtics close call.

During the season - when everyone was talking about how great the Western Conference was - I was saying watch out for the Celtics. When people were talking about how the Western Conference Championship would be the real NBA Finals - I was talking about how the Celtics didn't have the best record by accident and that their steamrolling of their Western Conference opponents boded well their chances in the playoffs.

Everyone was happy when the Celtics traded for Kevin Garnett but what about when they traded for Ray Allen? I was in the minority in saying trading the 5th pick was a great move by the Celtics. I had belief that the trade for Allen was a good move and my belief is being rewarded.

When everyone seemed down on Doc Rivers as a coach - I was in the minority saying Doc Rivers was the right man for the job. I believed in Doc's ability to teach young players and motivate veterans. It was Doc's coaching that allowed Al Jefferson to develop into a player equal to being traded for Kevin Garnett. It was Doc's mentoring that has allowed Rajon Rondo to emerge as a budding Tiny Archibald. It was Doc's backbone that allowed him to help make Paul Pierce as much a force on the defensive end of the court as on the offensive end. Doc Rivers is validating my belief. Not only are the Celtics outplaying the Lakers - they are out coaching the Lakers.

My belief in the current Celtics started with the man who seems missing at this point - Danny Ainge.

When Jim O'Brien turned petulant bitch because Ainge wanted him to change his defensive coaching philosophy - I defended Ainge at a time when almost all the Boston writers were polishing Jim O'Brien's halo. Ainge wanted an up-tempo offense and strong defense. O'Brien wanted a half-court offense and a fronting style defense. Ainge's style worked for Red Auerbach and Tommy Heinsohn and that style is about to lead the Celtics to their 17th banner to hang in the Boston Garden. Jim O'Brien's style has led him to failure in Philadelphia and in Indiana.

It's easy to believe in the Celtics at this point. I believed in Danny Ainge and Doc Rivers when supporters were few and far between. My faith is being rewarded. In a big way.

No comments:

Post a Comment