Sunday, September 21, 2008

Benedict Arnold Gives You His NFL Picks

On this day in 1780 - Benedict Arnold betrayed his country by giving the British the plans to the American position at West Point. Today we are "lucky" to have the ghost of Benedict Arnold here to make his NFL picks.

ALR: Welcome and thanks for joining us today.

BA: Pleased to be here young master Lynch.

ALR: Before we start on your NFL picks - I must ask you if it bothers you that your name has become synonymous with treason or treachery?

BA: As I say in purgatory - better infamy than no famy at all. What? Right?

ALR: OK... ummmm... so who do you like today in the NFL.

BA: Well I thought it would be nice to start off by picking a game involving a New York team since I won my fame at the battle of Saratoga and my infamy at West Point. However it seems the only team that actually plays in the state of New York is the team in Buffalo of all places. Anyways - the team named the Bills is favored by 9.5 points but if you tease the Bills with the Oakland Raiders you can win with any final score that has the Bills winning by 4 points up to 15 points.

ALR: So like in life - you want to play both sides against the middle?

BA: Well that is a vulgar way to put it but it is a matter of money you see. My next pick may put me in a more favorable light. I strongly support the Patriots giving 12.5 points against Miami.

ALR: So in real life you stabbed the "Patriots" in the back but today you advocate supporting the Patriots?

BA: Well in real life I was getting money for not supporting the Patriots - here I'm only giving points. Speaking of giving - since I "gave" those plans for West Point to the British - I thought it would be humorous to take the team from Pittsburgh but then I learned it's spelled Steelers and not Stealers. So in that case I say take the team from Philadelphia and give the 3 blasted points.

ALR: Thanks for joining us and good luck trying to win another 30 coins of silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment