Monday, September 22, 2008

Greetings from Nashville

Greetings from the Gaylord Opryland Hotel. This is one of the nicest hotel complexes I've stayed at but you do feel kinda of captive here. Sure they have shuttles that will take you to downtown Nashville but in my mind that's been equated with some sort of work release. The hotel is pretty much self contained with all the dining and entertainment needs met under a single very large roof.

Don't get me wrong - it's very nice here. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy my time here. If I'm honest - then maybe it's the name Gaylord Hotel that has me a little off my game today. As a kid - two of the insults we used to hurl at each other without thinking were "queerbait" and "gaylord". We never stopped to think about the meaning of the insult. We just called each other that without thought and in most cases without hesitation. At heart I guess I'm still a little kid but now I do think about the meanings of words. Do you really want to call someone "bait for queers"? And what is a gay lord? Is that like King Edward II of England?

My sense of humor is still very juvenile which explains why I laughed when I learned that spa at the hotel offers facials including "the Gaylord Glow." Fabulous! I heard that was supposed to be good for the skin.

Maybe if I'm more honest - it's really the ass whipping that the Patriots got yesterday that has me with a not so fresh feeling. I blame myself. I was at the last game the Patriots lost at Foxboro - which was also to the Dolphins. That was the game Doug Flutie hit a dropkick. I blame myself because every time I post my picks in this space bad things happen. Did I really need to have Benedict Arnold picking the Patriots? That won't stop me from still posting my picks from time to time when the spirit moves me. I'm sure there are many out there who either had the Patriots or picked them in a knockout pool thinking it was the safest pick they had all season.

While I'm getting things off my chest though - let me ask if you saw the final game at Yankee Stadium last night? (Yes I know the Green Bay / Dallas game was on at the same time.) The Yankees trotted out all sorts of "Legends". I can understand most of them being included but did you see Wade Boggs on the field? WTF? This is an example of why I dislike Wade Boggs so much. This was also the final nail in the coffin of Wade Boggs' chances to get his number retired by the Red Sox.

Wade Boggs molests collies.

If you need to find me - just check Rusty's sports bar at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel. That's probably where I'll be the next few nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment