Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Joe Stummer: The Future is Unwritten

I was blown away by the Joe Strummer documentary on The Sundance Channel. Blown away.

Here's a review I found on the documentary:
But that's not what Temple ends up with. The Future Is Unwritten is less a eulogy than a wake, and one in which the subject is startlingly present. Strummer started revising his epitaph in the mid-'80s, after his success began to feel like a cosmic joke: He wanted no part of singing "Career Opportunities" to a sold-out stadium, or watching as U.S. bombs labeled "Rock the Casbah" rained on the Middle East. He's shown here in later years, mellow and heavier, presiding over a different kind of tribal bonding: a campfire ritual at the Glastonbury fest that served as a meeting ground for kindred spirits, much as punk first mustered its ragtag army of squatters and misfits.
Now I'll have this song stuck in my head all day (if I'm lucky).

No comments:

Post a Comment