Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Flotsam and Jetsam - St. Louis Edition

Miscellaneous thoughts and observations from St. Louis.

Happy day after Saint Patrick' Day!!... I had two flights on Southwest yesterday which was nice because Southwest was offering complementary beer in honor of St. Patrick's Day. I appreciated the free beer but if you stop and think about it - it's a pretty negative stereotype. What can you do to honor the Irish on their day of celebration? Give away booze of course because everyone thinks of booze when they think of the Irish... I was surprised to learn that the St. Louis Blues have never won the Stanley Cup. I just assumed that they had. I'm guessing they are not fans of this famous photo... I bought a bottled water at the airport and got a chuckle when I noticed that the bottle proclaimed that it was "Sodium Free". Sodium of course is just another way of saying salt. So basically the label was saying that I was not buying saltwater. I was amused by that... I didn't have time to post my pick of the day yesterday but I had the Devils (-$160) to beat the Blackhawks. The Devils won to give Martin Brodeur his 552nd win. That makes me 1-1 on my picks of the day so far. I'm going to try and make that a regular feature here.... Speaking of the Stanley Cup - on this day back in 1893 Lord Stanley pledged a sliver cup to be given to the hockey champion of Canada. Interestingly enough - Lord Stanley never saw a Stanley Cup hockey game played. It was his son's idea... Part of I-70 in St. Louis is designated as the Mark McGwire Highway. Not sure how I feel about that... Today is Brad Dourif's 59th birthday. I loved Brad Dourif as Doc Cochran on Deadwood but not till today did I realize that he also played Grima Wormtongue in The Lord of the Rings trilogy...

No comments:

Post a Comment