Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous thoughts and observations.

The story of how Aaron Boone helped sportswriter Hal McCoy is always worthy of a retelling. And Aaron is right - now that the Red Sox have a couple of championships most fans can't even recall who he is or why they should dislike him... Repeat after me - there is no such thing as a sure thing. This past weekend Las Vegas and the local bookies made a ton of money off of people who thought they had a sure thing. Almost everyone thought USC was going to crush Ohio State on Saturday night and Monday everyone thought the Pats were going to crush the Bills (or at least that a tease between the Pats and Chargers would be a sure thing). How did that all work out? It just goes to show that when everyone is going one way - it is often the right move to go the other... I would be remiss if I didn't comment on the passing of Jim Carroll. I was a fan of Catholic Boy and of The Basketball Diaries but I would be kidding you if I didn't say that my first reaction to his death was "He's was still alive?"... Let me repeat once again - Jay Cutler = Jeff George (although I'm not sure if George ever threw 4 interceptions in a game)... Interesting poker hand. My reaction is that both players were in the wrong. It was a douche move on both sides but by the rules - once you muck your card(s) - the hand is dead to you. The guy with King high was trying to avoid showing his second card as to not give out more information when by rule he was supposed to show both cards...

No comments:

Post a Comment