Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Unintended Consequences

I travel a lot but I made sure that I wasn't traveling this week because I wanted to vote for Scott Brown in person. I wanted to feel the thrill of finally voting FOR someone - not just voting.

There is an unintended consequence to consider here. Scott Brown has made it a point to express that his will be a victory not just for the average citizen but also a victory against the Democratic Party Machine. This is a point worth considering.

It was the Massachusetts Democratic Party Machine that gave us Martha Coakley. The backroom deals and endorsements that put her in place was perhaps the fatal flaw that put this sequence of events into motion in the first place. Scott Brown is a good man and a good candidate but I can't help but think that if the Democratic Party Machine in Massachusetts let the people pick the candidate in the first place then it could have been Scott Brown against Congressman Mike Capuano or Celtics owner Stephen Pagliuca and in that case the results from today's election could have been very different today.

One more thought - Martha Coakley is now my favorite Democratic candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment